The Property and Environment Research Center (PERC) is the national leader in market solutions for conservation, with over 40 years of research and a network of respected scholars and practitioners. Through research, law and policy, and innovative field conservation programs, PERC explores how aligning incentives for environmental stewardship produces sustainable outcomes for land, water, and wildlife. Founded in 1980, PERC is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and proudly based in Bozeman, Montana.
This is a transformational time at PERC. Our nimble team is growing in all departments to support our ambitious goal of inspiring a new era of conservation in America based on incentives and innovation. Read more.
PERC is hiring a senior researcher to join our growing team in Bozeman, Montana. Primary tasks will include conducting research and writing projects that support PERC’s key initiatives, generating outputs that directly inform the organization’s policy and applied conservation initiatives. Such projects could include policy reports, academic studies, data analysis, legal analysis, popular writing, and/or applied market design. The exact mix of these tasks will be determined based on the researcher’s skill set and experience level.
The ideal candidate will be hard working, self-motivated, and passionate about market approaches to conservation and environmental policy. An ability to take initiative and execute on in-depth, detail-oriented projects is essential. Emphasis will be placed on candidates who have demonstrated strong research and writing skills, a knack for connecting research insights to real-world issues, and a passion for finding creative solutions to conservation challenges.
Conduct in-depth research on projects that support and inform PERC’s key initiatives (50%)
- Research various topics relevant to PERC’s areas of interest
- Lead or co-lead research initiatives with other team members
- Occasionally direct or assist with workshops, programs, and other initiatives
Craft insightful and engaging reports, studies, and articles tailored to PERC’s target audiences, including policymakers, media, and conservation practitioners (40%)
- Author a variety of outputs that advance PERC’s mission, including outputs for academic and general audiences (e.g., policy analyses, policy reports, essays, articles, etc.)
- Contribute compelling writing projects that aim to inform and inspire
- Communicate academic research to broader audiences
Support PERC’s broader efforts to communicate its research to key audiences (10%)
- Represent PERC in front of various audiences (e.g., policymakers, conservationists, journalists)
- Participate in events, panels, conferences, legislative testimony, etc.
- Contribute op-eds, blog posts, and other shorter-form outreach content
Skills and Experience Required
- Strong writing and communication skills and attention to detail
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of market approaches to conservation and environmental policy
- Interest in research but an ability to deliver compelling messages to non-academic audiences
- Advanced degree in economics, law, public policy, environmental science, or related field
- Experience working on issues related to wildlife conservation, land-use policy, water policy, and other environmental and natural resource topics
- Three or more years of experience working on environmental policy, conservation, or related issues
- Some regular travel by car and airplane is required
- Business office environment with moderate noise
- Travel by car and plane is possible
- Will sit or stand at a desk
- Work on a computer, use a telephone and other general office equipment
- Lift and carry up to 25 pounds
This is a full-time, exempt position based in Bozeman, Montana.
Perks of working at PERC
- Great health (platinum, gold, and silver plans), vision, and dental benefit choices for employees and family
- Flex/FSA or HSA offered
- 5% 401(k) PERC contribution
- PERC contributed life insurance
- Voluntary additional life insurance
- Voluntary accident insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid vacation and sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- Discounted gym membership
- Ability to work with an impactful conservation organization, dedicated to positive environmental outcomes
Please submit the following to email@example.com:
- Resume and CV
- Cover letter describing your interest in this position
- One piece of writing that has been published in some form (preferably one intended for a general audience)
- One example of original research
- All materials should be sent in one PDF file
Not sure you meet all the job qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend not to apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification when, in fact, they often do. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Explore Careers at PERC
Discover our incredible culture and passion for conservation.