The Property and Environment Research Center (PERC) is the national leader in market solutions for conservation with over 40 years of research and a network of respected scholars and practitioners. Through research, law and policy, and innovative conservation programs, PERC explores how aligning incentives for environmental stewardship produces sustainable outcomes for land, water, and wildlife. Founded in 1980, PERC is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and proudly based in Bozeman, Montana.
A world with healthy land, water, and wildlife sustained by voluntary, cooperative conservation and incentives for environmental stewardship.
PERC is dedicated to advancing conservation through markets, incentives, property rights, and voluntary partnerships.
PERC seeks to hire a researcher to join our growing Bozeman-based team. Primary tasks include assisting with research projects, conducting original research and writing, and helping package PERC’s research ideas to reach key audiences. The exact mix of these tasks will be determined by the researcher’s skill set and experience level. This position will report to the Vice President of Research.
The ideal candidate will be hard-working, self-motivated, and passionate about market-based approaches to conservation and environmental policy. An ability to take initiative and execute in-depth, detail-oriented projects is essential. Emphasis will be placed on candidates that have demonstrated strong writing skills and a passion for finding creative solutions to conservation challenges.
- Assist with research, writing, and editing for reports, studies, articles, and related projects
- Conduct original research and writing
- Assist with outreach reports to communicate PERC’s research to key audiences
- Strong writing and communication skills and attention to detail
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of market approaches to conservation and environmental policy
- Interest in research with an ability to deliver compelling messages to non-academic audiences
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, environmental science, or related field(s)
- Master’s degree in related field(s)
- Experience working on issues related to wildlife conservation, land-use policy, water policy, and other environmental and natural resource topics
- Knowledge of major environmental laws, programs, and policies
- Casual office environment with moderate noise
- Work primarily conducted in an office setting; some field trips to PERC’s on-the-ground conservation projects possible
- Google Drive, Slack, Excel, and other related tools utilized
PERC’s headquarters in beautiful Bozeman, Montana
Perks of working at PERC
- Great health (platinum, gold, and silver plans), vision, and dental benefit choices for employees and family
- Flex /FSA or HSA offered
- 5% 401(k) PERC contribution
- PERC contributed life insurance
- Voluntary additional life insurance
- Voluntary accident insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid vacation and sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- Discounted gym membership
- Pro-deal opportunities
- Opportunity to work with an impactful conservation organization, dedicated to positive environmental outcomes
To apply, please submit the following:
- Cover letter detailing: 1) your interest in the role, and 2) your understanding of PERC and our approach to conservation
- Two to three pieces of writing that have been published (including one intended for a general audience)
- Three professional or academic references
You can submit your application or send inquiries to Sarah Lutiger, PERC’s Director of Operations.